Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Where to get coupons?

If you are new to the "couponing" scene you may be wondering where we get all these coupons we refer to. The first and most obvious place is the local Sunday paper. Most weeks the local paper puts anywhere from 1-3 coupon inserts within the local sales advertisements. The usual inserts are called Red Plum, Smart source and Proctor and Gamble Brand Saver. On a regular basis, on this blog and other money saving blogs we refer to these inserts as RP, SS and P&G.





When buying a Sunday paper for coupons keep some things in mind. Where I live we have two larger cities within a half-hour to an hour away. The city that is larger yet further from us has better coupons than the city that is smaller yet closer to us. So if you have access to more than one town's paper compare and see which one is a better value coupon-wise.





Some people also ask me if buying the Sunday paper for the coupons is worth it. I say YES and in some cases it's worth buying two. When considering that I ask myself, can I make back the money I spent on the paper with the coupons within the paper? For example, I paid .99 for the Sunday paper and in this weeks coupons inserts I know 100% that I will use $8.10 in coupons from this paper. So I will make $7.11 from this week's paper. Now granted that will not be the case every week. I usually make back at least what I paid for the paper and than some.





As you start collecting these coupons every week remember, one of the first rules of "couponing" is keep all coupons until they expire. Even if you don't use that particular product someone else you know may or a store may run a sale on that item and you may be able to try it for free with the coupon. You just never know so hang on to them. You may also want to consider a coupon organizer going forward.





I hope this is helpful to some of you that may be considering starting to coupon. Check back soon for information on Internet coupons.

No comments:

Post a Comment