Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Eating from the Pantry Challenge...Update

Some are probably wondering how we made it through our week of eating from the pantry. I think we did quite well. Here's the details:

Tuesday: We ate at TGI Fridays with our coupons for a free burger. We ended up spending around $11. Not bad at all, considering that's how much it cost for a family to eat at a fast food restaurant these days.

Wednesday: I cooked a new Honey Chicken Stir Fry recipe which was delicious, and quite a hit with all in the family including the little guys.

Thursday:By Thursday, I was getting a little weak and thought about just grabbing something for lunch. But instead made turkey sandwiches with fruit. For dinner we ate our Cheesy Shepherd Pie and once again it was a family pleaser. By this evening, we were in the need for some more milk(with all the cereal eating=) and eggs so I did have to run to Kroger. I was tempted to pick up a few more items but I refrained myself. I was able to score a gallon of organic milk for $2.99. The grand total for that grocery stop was $4.34.

Friday: I thought again about getting carry-out for dinner since we had a busy morning and afternoon. But I stuck with the meal plan and made my turkey roll-ups and put some chicken nuggets in the oven for the boys. So everyone was happy once again.

Saturday: I was definitely tired of cereal by today! So I was on the look out for a new recipe to use some of my oatmeal from the stockpile. I remembered Money Saving Mom posted a recipe, back in the summer, for a baked oatmeal. So I looked it up and decided to give it a try. For any interested here it is:
Baked Oatmeal

1 cup oil (can substitute butter or applesauce)
1 ½ cups sugar (can reduce)
4 eggs
6 cups oats
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups milk

Combine all ingredients in order listed. Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned. Can refrigerate overnight before baking. Serve topped with butter, brown sugar, and milk.


I'm not a huge oatmeal fan but the hubby loves it. So I liked it okay but everyone else really seemed to enjoy it. I served it with butter, syrup,milk and toast. For dinner tonight, I had grilled pork tenderloin on the meal plan . But decided due to a chilly day to cook it in the crock pot with carrots.

So as you can see, we made it through the week. We only spent $19.30 on groceries and $11 eating out which was under our normal grocery budget for the week!! We also ate quite a bit out of our stockpile which is a good thing. If you don't eat up some of it from time to time, it will have to be thrown away and that's just wasteful.

I've actually enjoyed the challenge this week. Even though at times I was weak and wanted to grab something to eat. That is why a meal plan is always a good thing. Once you write it down it's more concrete then just cooking from day to day.It's been fun to try some new recipes and have them turn out successful, too!

Now for next week... planning a birthday party on a budget. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment